Vanished Landmarks Virtual Tour

Day 1: Vaughn Seed Company

The Vaughan Seed Company was located at 111 Victoria Street. It was a two storey structure that was constructed in 1909. The Vaughn Seed Company was a large part of Welland’s agricultural history. This building was operated by Marshall “Mark” Vaughan, of Elcho, as a branch of his family’s seed business until 1959 when he died. It continued to operate as a seed company under different owners until 1999.

The Vaughan Seed Company is remembered as a company that provided high quality seed for farmers and gardeners in the Welland area specializing in Kentucky blue grass. The company also developed its own type of seeds. The Niagara Parks Commission frequently used Victoria Park Lawn Seed that was developed by Vaughn Seed.

Like most other community business owners, Vaughan entered into municipal politics; he was an Alderman and served as Reeve in 1915-1916. In 1918, he became the first Mayor of the new City of Welland and remained in politics for 12 years as an elected Member of Provincial Parliament for Welland.

This building was designated in 2002, however due to a fire in 2008 it is now just a memory.

Historic Homes and Landmarks Virtual Tour

Day 10: Welland-Crowland War Memorial

The Welland-Crowland War Memorial was the last large scale World War I memorial to be erected in Canada. This monument was built with collections from the community. During the height of the depression over $36,000 was collected, the equivalent of nearly $630,000 today.

Our war memorial was created by artist Elizabeth Wyn Wood, winner of a Canada wide competition for the project. This monument was unveiled on September 4, 1939, just one day after the start of the Second World War.

Welland’s World War I memorial incorporates the activity of war with a trench mortar as well as stylized elements of the Canadian landscape using wheat sheaves. This design was chosen because it departs from the design of a single soldier. It has two heroic figures represented, a soldier and a woman. It symbolizes those who fought in the war and those who supported the war effort at home.

Day 9: Haun-Kenney House – 4 Smith Street

The house was built around 1860 for Amos Lee Haun, a manufacturer of ploughs. During the 1850’s, Haun was the proprietor of the Stonebridge Foundry in Humberstone (between Welland and Port Colborne). Haun moved to Welland in 1858 and opened the Welland Foundry on Lock Street.

In 1878 the house was sold to Luther Boardman, postmaster and Township Treasurer of Crowland who ran the Welland House (Boardman Hotel), he owned the house until his death in 1893. The house belonged next to George Rogers, a dredge man for Canada Dredge and Dock and his wife Annie, a midwife and practical nurse. A large stone marked “R” for Rogers was placed at the edge of the property on Aqueduct Street. In 1929 the house was bought by Ervin Cardwell, who operated a plumbing business from the garage, as did later owner John Fedor.

Day 8: Cooper Mansion

It was built in 1913-14 for Robert Cooper, who established the Riverside Mills in 1892.

One of the most enterprising and progressive of Welland’s citizens was Mr. Robert Cooper, who built up a successful flour, grain and farm seed trade, in Welland and its surrounding area. Cooper was a member of the Town Councils for a number of years, served as Deputy Reeve, and was a member of the County Council, and was an efficient County Clerk starting in 1891.

Cooper started the Riverside Mill in 1892 his place of business being located on East Main Street, near the east bank of the canal. This mill was the headquarters of a large retail trade in flour, meal, buckwheat, mill feed of all kinds, and farm and garden seed of every description. He also had a 3 story warehouse positioned along the GTR lines.

Day 7: Sutherland House – Corner of Niagara and Elgin Streets

One of the most popular and enterprising citizens of Welland, who was a firm believer in a future for the town, is Mr. Geo. W. Sutherland, who occupied a palatial residence, on the corner of North Main and Elgin Streets. Sutherland’s first business was that of lumbering, and during the season of navigation he operated two boats on the Welland Canal.

The base of his lumber operations was in the Northern Ontario timber lands. He started his business employing large crews of men and teams in securing logs but took a step back in active operations to the purchasing of timber lots, and securing the product by contract. The timber thus obtained is driven by various waterways to American ports and disposed of to mill owners and others. An average cut is from three quarters to a million feet of logs. Sutherland was also interested in other enterprises, and into anything which was of advantage to the town.

George W. Sutherland looked to work closer to home. He took an interest in Lawrence’s furniture business and in 1900 it became Lawrence & Sutherland. Sutherland was also one of the lumber dealers for this business. In 1906, Mr. Sutherland bought out his partner’s interests and continued the business under his own name.

Day 6: Somerville House – Corner of Merritt and Somerville Streets

Located at the entrance to Chippawa Park by the lawn bowling and the rose garden, this was the home of W. G. Somerville, local dealer for Massey Harris farm machinery during the late 19th century. In the early 20th century, W.G. Somerville and Sons was the first automobile sales agency in town.

On North Main Street (presently Niagara Street), between West Main and the river bridge, was the agricultural implement warehouse of Mr. W. G. Somerville, who started business in the 1870’s. Somerville’s business occupied a three story building. The main floor was for farm machinery, machine accessories, as well as a large office, and an apartment for the sale of the Newcombe piano and Dominion organs. The upper floor was for the display and sale of light carriages and farm wagons. Somerville was the endorsed representative in the county for the Massey Harris Co. farm machinery, in addition to which he was the agent for the Sawyer-Massey Co.’s threshing, road machinery and rock crushers and engines.

Day 5: Raymond-Gross-MacClellan – 20 Evan St.

This is a truly stunning house with a great view of the river. As a stately house, it has seen a number of notable people reside within. In 1910, Colonel Lorenzo Clarke Raymond, K.C., purchased two blocks of land where the subject house is situated. The house was built in an Edwardian Classical style and was constructed between 1911 and 1915.

Colonel Raymond succeeded his father, Lorenzo Dulmage Raymond, Q.C., as County Attorney in 1891, a position he held for the next 50 years. L. Clarke Raymond was appointed Colonel of the 44th Battalion of the Militia in 1897 and was created King’s Counsel in 1908. Colonel Raymond was also the first President of the Welland Club when it was founded in 1910.

In January 1925, Colonel Raymond sold the house to Arthur J.J. Brennan, a pharmacist who purchased the well-respected J. Hamilton Burgar drugstore at 7 East Main Street. Brennan was a member of the High School Board for many years, was elected to City Council in 1918 and became Mayor in 1919. 

In 1929, the house was purchased by Douglas D. Gross (a lawyer). Gross succeeded his father as City Solicitor until his death in 1933. The house was subsequently sold to another solicitor, Thomas J. Darby, who was appointed to as a judge for Lincoln County in 1945. He was alderman for Welland in 1936, 1937, 1938 and 1940-41.

Day 4: Lawrence-Singer House – 204 East Main Street

The “Lawrence-Singer House” was built circa 1890 by Alfred E. Lawrence. Mr. Lawrence arrived in Welland in 1899 to take possession of one of Welland’s earliest establishments, a furniture and undertaking business founded by F.X. Sauter in 1857. Lawrence remained in business in downtown Welland for the next 17 years. 

At the time, his business was the leading furniture and undertaking emporium in the county. He had a two storey building on East Main Street between the Dexter and Ross buildings. You could furnish all rooms with one trip to the store. They had an upholstery department too so if you just needed to update your fabric pattern they could do that at an affordable price. 

Mr. Lawrence was also an undertaker and embalmer. As a funeral director he was prepared to assume charge of ceremonies, and to furnish any kind of a casket, together with burial furnishings. Samples of caskets and furnishings were kept constantly on hand in a dust proof apartment in the second story along with a fully stocked warehouse. 

The “Gingerbread House” is an excellent example of the eclectic and highly ornamented late Victorian style. As a furniture maker, Lawrence constructed his house in the latest architectural style, with a variety of woodworking techniques which would showcase his skill as a cabinet maker and which would also befit his position within the community. In 1914, the house was sold to Mary L. Singer and remained in the Singer family until 1978.

Day 3: Gordon Marshal House – 155 Hellems Avenue

The house was built in 1884 for Elias Holder, a Crowland township farmer who was the owner of a livery stable on Division Street during the 1880’s. He was also a driver for the mail coach that travelled between Welland’s post office and railway depot. Ownership of the house passed to James O’Neil in 1888.

O’Neil clerked in C.J. Page’s general store on East Main until 1892 when he sold the house to Thomas Gordon and his wife, Eva Knight Gordon, in February of 1892, and it has remained in the same family for over 100 years. Thomas was born in 1863 and brought his family to Welland in the 1880’s. He worked as a clerk for David “Daddy” Ross at the Ross Company Store on the corner of East Main and King Streets for many years. 

Two of the Gordon’s six children, Florence and Mary, lived in the house for many years. Mary’s husband John Lockley Brodie died at age 29 in 1920 and Mary Gordon Brodie returned to live in the house with her young daughter. In 1967, the house passed to her daughter, Betty Brodie Marshall.

Day 2: Glasgow-Fortner House – 24 Burger Street

George Burgar, son of Welland’s first postmaster, succeeded his father as postmaster in 1874, and was active in local politics as an alderman for a total of 19 years between 1871 and 1912, and Mayor in 1893 and 1894. George built the original house on the property in 1859.

Dr. W.E. Burgar, a prominent medical practitioner, began his first practice from his house in 1878 and subsequently purchased this property. It is believed that a major addition was added to the house in 1884. 

In 1889, Nancy Glasgow, the wife of Dr. Sinclair H. Glasgow, purchased the property. Dr. Glasgow was an Alderman in 1891 and Mayor of the Town of Welland in 1895 and 1896. He was also the medical officer of health for Crowland.

Dr. Glasgow graduated with the degree of M. B. from the University of Toronto in 1878. In the same year he obtained an M. D. at Victoria University and a license to practice from the College of Physicians and Surgeons. He took up practice of his profession in the town of Welland in the year 1878, and in 1882 was appointed assistant-surgeon in the 44th battalion. In 1885 he received the appointments of gaol surgeon for the county of Welland, and division surgeon of the Grand Trunk Railway. 

In more recent years, this house has lived on as the Rolaire Academy of Dance from 1972 to 1981, and used as the restaurant Rinderlin’s from 1981 to 2006.

Day 1: Bald House

5 Colbeck Drive was built in 1794 by Thomas Bald, a native of Scotland and veteran of the War of 1812. He owned two farms. One farm was in the vicinity of Bald Street and the other was approximately 200 acres north of the Welland River which included the present Bald House and the land known as the Industrial home (aka the poor house, is presently Seasons retirement home) and the Lambert Lumber Mill.

Thomas Bald had two sons who took over the two farms. William took over the farm near where the present St Andrew’s sits. David took over the other farm where the original log cabin was on the same site as the present day house.

David, besides farming, operated scows which went up and down the Welland River (then called the Chippawa Creek), carrying loads of grain and lumber. David was largely instrumental in raising the Welland Company of Volunteers during the Fenian raids and was its first Captain. He married Hannah Cook, of Cook’s Mills. She was the first woman school mistress in the Welland District. Two of their three children, James Cook and Katherine were also teachers in the district.

James C Bald served on the board of trustees in SS no 2 Thorold and Pelham for 33 years. The school built in 1948 on the original Bald property was called James C Bald School in recognition of the long faithful service. On David’s death, James Cook, his son, took over the farm. James married Jane McAllister, they had 7 children. 3 of their daughters were also teachers.

The second son, James Andrew took over the farm in 1940 upon James Cook’s death. The farm was annexed by the City of Welland in 1950 and was rapidly divided and sold as building lots.

At the moment, we were not able to find an old image of this house however here are aerial views taken from the Niagara Air Photo project. You can see the farm in 1934, the addition of Prince Charles Drive in 1955 and the property being developed in 1965.

Virtual Residential Tour – West of the Canal

This tour is a loop around one of the first residential subdivisions in Welland. This area is also called plan 552 or the William Bald Plan.

William Bald was a Welland contractor and was involved with the construction of the courthouse and jail. He was a proprietor of a general store, was appointed as a coroner by the Governor General in 1856 as well as a councillor and Reeve for Welland. His daughter, Miss May Bald is said to be the first female in Ontario to graduate with the Bachelor’s degree.

This subdivision is comprised of streets named after Bald’s family. Denistoun Street is named after William’s son, David Denistoun Bald. Bald Street is obviously named after William, it once extended through to Wilton Ave but this section is now Riverside Drive. Jane Street, now Maple Ave, was named after William’s wife.

Frazer Street is also part of this subdivision however is not named for a Bald family member. It is named after Dr. John Frazer. In 1854 he was elected as the first Warden of the County of Welland and laid the cornerstone for the courthouse.

Historic homes get their names from the first person to own it or earliest prominent person and then the family that lived there at the time of designation.

Day 10: Hobson Block

This block was built by the local druggist, Harry W. Hobson in 1877. It is constructed of Hooker brick and originally would have housed four separate businesses. This building once housed the Welland Telegraph office and many other businesses over the years.

Harry served as an apprentice with Mr. T. Cumines, a druggist in Welland. In 1877, Harry graduated from the Ontario College of Pharmacy in Toronto. He was the proprietor of his own drug store called the Palace Drug Store. His business was always well stocked and had a large variety of items. In the 1880’s he added stationary to his list of offered goods and apparently it sold well. His store was in business from 1877 to 1921.

Harry came from a family that was involved with the development of Welland. George Hobson (Harry’s brother), was a division court clerk and a deputy sheriff. Harry’s father Robert was the first sheriff of Welland County starting in 1856 until his death in 1881. Robert came from England at 13 years old in 1818 and settled in to Thorold Township for a life as a farmer. He then spent a few years serving in the militia and getting an education. In 1841 he became one of the first magistrates in the old Niagara District Council after the union of Upper and Lower Canada. From 1850 until 1856 he was an officer in H. M. Customs at Clifton, resigning that position in 1856, to take the office of Sheriff.

Day 9: Rose Block

Sitting on the North-East corner of Niagara and West Main streets, this three-storey structure was built in 1876 for Hugh Alexander Rose, a prominent local merchant.

As previously mentioned, in 1856 he started in business as a clerk at the store of James McCoppen in Welland. Eventually it became Messrs. McCoppen & Morwood. Rose bought out McCoppen and in 1864 sold out his share to Morwood.

Rose’s next venture was to purchase the business of Mr. Betts, which consisted of the general store known as the Gothic, situated on the corner of West Main and North Main (Niagara Street). In 1878, he replaced the old gothic building with the three-story brick block that ornaments the corner now. He occupied a part of the block with his business, which consisted of a finely selected stock of general dry goods, shoes, etc.

Mr. Rose was twice married. His first wife was Jane, a daughter of the late John Morwood, and a sister of Richard Morwood. She died in 1862. In 1867, Mr. Rose married Mary, a daughter of the late David Ellsworth, of Bertie (Fort Erie area). This marriage produced a family of three — two daughters and a son (Jennie M., Mabel E., and Hugh Alexander).

Day 8: Tuckey-Lee

This storefront was built circa 1856 for Dr. Alfred J. Burns, one of the first physicians to serve the hamlet of Merrittsville (later Welland). He used the building as a home and office. This brick building is believed to be the oldest surviving commercial structure in downtown Welland.

Dr. Alfred Burns died in 1861 at the early age of 29. Shortly after its construction, Dr. Burns sold the building to Jesse Stoner, and it remained in the Stoner family until 1872, when it was sold to Charlotte Tuckey. Jesse Stoner was the grandson of Christian Stoner, one of the first pioneers to settle in Humberstone Township from Pennsylvania. Jesse’s wife Catherine was the daughter of David Price, known as “Welland’s first settler”. Catherine Street that runs along Prince Charles Drive is named for Catherine Stoner.

For the majority of the years between 1872 and 1929, this was the location of Tuckey’s Jewellers, run by Charlotte’s husband James, and later their son James A. Tuckey, until his death in 1929. James A. Tuckey converted the west side of the building (no. 77) from residential to commercial use around 1920. Over the course of the twentieth century, the two retail spaces housed, in addition to Tuckey’s Jewellers, Stanley Jackson’s Jewellers, John Oliver’s Wallpaper, barbers George A. Pearsons and Charles Goss and, from 1946 until the end of the century, John Aceti’s barbershop. It is now Mama Misfit’s Cheesecakery.

Day 7: Demare House

This house on West Main Street was built for the Demare family. They were the descendants of an aristocratic French family who escaped the French Revolution in the late 1780-90s.

J. G. Demare, a native and life-long resident of Welland, worked for more than twenty-eight years with the construction and management of both the second and third Canals. He was assigned the duty of placing the gates to the new Canal in position and completing all the arrangements for opening the canal to navigation. He was also given the honor of taking the first boat, the Don M. Dickinson, through the Canal.

In 1881, he was made Assistant Superintendent of Maintenance of the lower division of the new Canal, a position he filled until 1898, when he was forced to retire, owing to ill health. He then engaged in underwriting, fire, life and accident insurance, in which he built a very large and high-class clientele. He was an active member of the Board of Trade and was a successful business man of Welland. On top of that, he was also widely popular socially and had many friends.

Day 6: King-Hill House, 81 Bald St.

The previous houses have been built and lived in by business owners and prominent families. The King-Hill house is important as it is the house built for the worker, a well to do worker but still middle class. It was built in 1872 for labourer Harmon Johnson King. He sold it in 1875 to John Anderson, a dredge man and engineer.

The house then passed to Vernon Hamilton Robinson in 1895. He was a shoe salesman at Reilly’s shoe store. A short while later in 1897, the house sold to Mary Toyn, her second husband was a lock tender on the feeder canal, which was important at the time in supplying water to the Welland Canal.

The house passed through many people, however, the most notable owner was John Muggeridge who purchased the house in 1969. John was an English professor at Niagara College and his father, Malcolm Muggeridge, was a well-known British author, political critic and television personality as well as a spy in WWII and helped to bring Mother Teresa to popular attention in the West.

Day 5: Sidey-LaRose House, 47 Maple Avenue

Built by brick maker Thaddeus Hooker, it was sold to J. J. Sidey in 1874.

Sidey was proprietor of the Tribune newspaper and printing house. He was born in Stamford in 1844. He set out to learn the printing trade in 1859 with John D. Murray, who at that time was the publisher of the Thorold Gazette. After working at the business for some years in Thorold, St. Catharines and elsewhere, Sidey came to Welland December 1st, 1864. On September 15th, 1865, in partnership with Mr. Albert H. Patterson, Sidey purchased the Tribune printing office from H.L. Stone. At that time circulation was only 500 copies a week. By the 1880’s Sidey got circulation up to 3,000 newspapers per week. On his death in 1905, he left behind one of the most prosperous publishing businesses in Ontario.

Day 4: Hooker House

In 1855, Thaddeus Hooker obtained a contract from the Welland contractors, Hellems and Bald, to manufacture bricks for the construction of the Welland County Courthouse. He arrived in Welland in February of 1855 and constructed a brickyard on the west bank of the Welland Canal, south of what is now Hooker Street.

Built in 1856-57 for Thaddeus Hooker, this may be the first brick house built in Welland. The exterior brickwork is an early example from the Hooker brickyard. The Hooker House was constructed in several phases. It was based on the “Ontario house” which was a type of small home and had a one and a half storey farmhouse with a low front gable in the eave of the upper storey.

Between 1855 and 1912, many of the brick buildings in Welland were constructed of Hooker bricks. It has a distinct orange colour and is visible in many old buildings in Welland such as the Rose block at 28 West Main Street and the Hobson block at 43-49 West Main Street.

In 1861, the brickyard produced 400,000 bricks. By 1902, as a result of several expansions, the output had increased to one million bricks.

Day 3: Rose House

This house was built in 1909 for Colonel Hugh Alexander Rose (son of the merchant). This house is to the left of the Schooley House (where merchant HA Rose lived).

It was redone in the Tudor Revival style in 1920, characterized by exposed timbers with stucco fill and multi-paned windows. The exterior style was changed to Tudor because the Colonel was fascinated with the style while serving in Europe during WWI.

Col. Rose enlisted on Nov 2, 1915. However before he enlisted to serve overseas he served with the 44th Regiment for 18 years, and in the early years of the war he was part of the Lincoln and Welland Canal Force, protecting the Canal from attack.

Built behind this house, at the back of the original property, was the coach house. It was built at the same time as the exterior was changed on the main house.

On May 10, 1912 his first child was born and given the name, Hugh Alexander Rose.

Day 2: Schooley House

Built in the 1870’s, it has been home to two very prominent families. Dr. Jay W. Schooley, was the grandson of a United Empire Loyalist who was one of Welland’s earliest doctors arriving in 1776. Schooley was a chairman of the local high school board, member of the public school board, Welland’s medical officer of health, a jail surgeon and member of the Examining Board of the Ontario College of Physicians.

In 1885 he sold the house to Hugh Alexander Rose, a successful merchant (there were at least three men in this family with this name, keep the dates in mind in order to keep them straight). Rose was born in Stamford in 1840. His grandfather (also Hugh A. Rose) moved from Scotland to America and arrived in Canada prior to the War of 1812 and took an active part in that great conflict, participating in the principal battles.

The grandson (the one that bought the Schooley House) started in business in 1856 as a clerk in the store of James McCoppen in Welland. By the time he purchased this house he had bought and sold his interest in that business and started his own company. However that is the story of the Rose Block, to be told later.

Day 1: St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, 25 Bald St.

Welland’s first Presbyterian Church was built in 1863. By 1889 it was determined to be too far from the city core therefore a new location was obtained on Bald St. The building committee was comprised of some big names such as Hugh A Rose, George Stalker, JH Burgar, Alex Robertson, John McCaw, George Ross, David Ross and TD Cowper. George Ross donated his services as architect; this is possibly his first project as architect.

At the time of construction, Niagara area church designers drew inspiration from medieval revival style i.e. Gothic and Norman. This building exhibits features of the Norman style in the square bays, round arched door frames and windows as well as in the double stepped buttresses.

Dedication ceremonies were held on Jan 5, 1890. The hall at the south was built in 1911 with another addition in 1955. The bell still rings before Sunday worship. The bell was donated in 1918 by Mrs. McQuein in memory of her husband. The most distinct feature of this church is the octagonal ‘broach’ spire of the tower.

There are only three original arched windows left. The original windows have been replaced with Memorial windows. The largest in the north end was the first installed and is known as the “Great window”. It is dedicated to the 14 men of the congregation killed in WWI.

Virtual Downtown Tour

Day 1: Carnegie Library

Built in 1923 and designed by Norman Kearns (he also designed the Farmer’s market building and part of Welland High).

This building is designed in the Beaux-Arts Classicism style, think Greek temple with all that symmetry. It is a single story with an exposed basement. It is dark red Milton brick with details in Indiana limestone. Above the original front door is the City of Welland crest. You can see the ships on both sides and the train across the top with our motto “Where rails and water meet”.

The Library had additions completed in 1961 and 1974.

This building is named after Andrew Carnegie the owner of Carnegie Steel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1848 Andrew was 13 and immigrated to Pittsburgh with his family. He worked his way up from being a bobbin boy in a cotton mill to owning his own steel mill. It has been said that he was a very difficult person to work for, however, he was a large scale philanthropist starting the Carnegie foundation to build libraries. He knew the importance of education and access to knowledge. His foundation built 2,811 free public libraries, 6 were in the Niagara Region.

The Welland Museum started in 1977 at the old Solomon Moore House on South Pelham Road (aka the orphanage or the Children Services Building). The museum moved to Queen Street School in 1985 and moved into this building in 2005.

Day 2: Morwood House

This house was built over many years starting in 1861. The house was built with Italianate design features. Italianate buildings are known for their ornamentation rather than the structure itself. Some of the Italianate features of this house are: shallow arched windows, brackets under the eaves, narrow double front door and the windows have large panes flanked by smaller panes.

Richard Morwood came to Welland from New York State in 1856. He was very active in the politics of Welland; he served as a councillor in 1863 and as Mayor of Welland in 1881. He started the R. Morwood Co. in 1875, which passed through the generations of his family before it was destroyed by a fire in 1968.

Morwood was an active member of the Methodist Church. He donated the land the Methodist Church (now United Church) sits on, as well as the land for Central Public School (the parking lot to the East of the market buildings).

Day 3: Farmers’ Market

The market has been at this location since 1907. The designated building on this lot was designed by Norman Kearns in 1919. It is influenced by the North American “Western Style”. It has elements from Spanish and Prairie Styles.

This lot was also the location of Central Public School. The school opened in 1901 with eight classrooms and was later expanded to 14 classrooms. The school was demolished in 1968.

Day 4: Holy Trinity

This Church was constructed in 1877 when it was decided that the original building was too small for the congregation and too far from the center of town. Holy Trinity’s congregation has existed since 1857, making it the oldest active church in Welland.

It was designed by J. Dinigan in the Gothic revival style. It has a castle like tower, high pitched roof and pointed arched windows (the window element was carried through the additions, which provides a cohesive sight line).

This Church also has two very interesting pieces of history. There is a sister church, Crowland Abbey, in Lincolnshire, England and in 1948 a piece of stone was brought over in thanks for food parcels that the women of Holy Trinity sent during World War II. This stone was placed in the nave. Also, the tower has a piece of the altar of St Paul’s Cathedral in London, England which had been bombed during WWII. Again, given in thanks to the congregation for their help.

Day 5: Central Fire Hall

Built in 1920 and designed by Walter W. LaChance (also designed the Empire Cotton Mills office).

This building is designed in the Edwardian Classical style. It has a basilica plan with hexagonal apses on either side. The sheet metal air vents on the front of the building are made to look like Greek Acroterian as they resemble old fashioned fire helmets. The interior has twin spiral oak staircases, a tin ceiling and 2 brass fire poles.

When this fire hall was first in use, horses were used to pull the wagons. This building is situated at a 45 degree angle to the intersection so that the horses could properly turn any direction they needed to go in order to fight a fire.

Day 6: Welland Court House

Constructed in 1858 and designed in a Palladian style by Kivas Tully, this building is a key feature to the growth of our city.

Inscribed above the main front door are the names of the key figures in getting the court house constructed as well as the bust of Graves Simcoe, the Governor of Upper Canada at the time of construction.

Behind the court house, from the back of the building to the lights at Hellems Avenue was the jail yard. Although there was a fire in the records room in 1913, it is known that the first hanging was in 1859 and the last hanging was in 1958.

Did you know that the Welland Museum has gallery space inside the court house? This gallery holds the last gallows, items from guards and information on more than 150 years of servicing law.

Day 7: Dexter Arms

This building was constructed in 1873 for Elias Hoover as a Pub and Inn. Hoover named it after his son. The Dexter was on a stage coach route, which serviced those attending the court house and transporting goods thorough the city.

Day 8: Ross Store

Mr. Ross had always been an active participant in all that pertains to the welfare of Welland. He was a member of the town council, he was mayor in 1888, ’89 and ’90, a member of the County Council for one year, a member of the public School Board for eight years, and treasurer of the Fire Department for over quarter of a century.

David Ross came to Welland in 1878 to manage the Bull & Co. store. He worked his way up to owning the store and then owning the building, hence his name in stone on the façade. This store started as a dry goods store and developed into one of Welland’s first department stores, known for its array of fine clothes and furnishings.

One thing a lot of people remember is hearing the ting of change in the pneumatic tube system used by cashiers to send money up to Mr. Ross’s office.

Day 9: Main Street Bridge/Bridge 13

The current bridge was opened to traffic on April 22, 1930. It stands 231 feet high with a road width of 30 feet. It rose to 170 feet with a clearance of 120 feet. It last rose on December 16, 1972.

Before this bridge, the Alexandra Bridge which was built in 1904 and moved in 1927 to make way for the present Bridge 13. The Alexandra Bridge was a swing bridge built to turn on central piers in the relatively narrow navigational channel.

The first canal opened in 1829 and was made of wooden locks. It was 8 feet deep and 22 feet wide. The second canal was completed in 1854 and the locks were made of stone (longer lasting than wood). The third canal was completed in 1887. The fourth canal, the one that runs through Welland, was started in 1913, and due to delays of the war, was completed in 1932. The locks are now 27 feet deep and 80 feet wide. The by-pass was started in 1967, completed in 1972, and opened in 1973.

Day 10: Central United Church

This church was built in 1882 and designed by N. Vanderburg. It started its life as the Wesleyan Methodist Church, sitting on land donated by Richard Morwood. It was renamed Central United Church in 1925 when the Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian churches joined together.

1907 was a difficult year for this church. In June, sparks from a nearby fire fell on the roof causing damage which resulted in a 2 month restoration. In August, shortly after reopening, a steam roller with a spiked wheel ruptured a gas line in front of the church. There was a loud explosion as the gas was ignited by the firebox on the steam roller. The embers carried onto the church roof and by nightfall only the walls and bell tower were left standing.

The bell in the church tower is also of interest. It was originally situated at the entrance to the Port Colborne harbour to warn approaching sailors of rocks and shoals. When the bell was replaced by a fog horn, the bell was then moved to Welland to become the first church bell in town.