Growing as Welland itself grew, Welland High Vocational School opened its doors on West Main Street in January of 1879. It developed along with the students attending Welland High, as Bald Street Grammar School became too small to handle the growing population of students. Only 70 students attended the classes during the school’s first year of operation. Welland High closed in 1989, after more than 100 years of serving as a landmark for secondary education in the Niagara region. To find out more, come check out the “Schools of the Past” exhibit here at the Welland Museum!